Friday, November 2, 2012

Never Expected all the Disapproval

                      As a service dog owner I try to always stay informed and educated about service animals and the law. I belong to some service dog groups where I can get tips on where to get the best service dog items I need. Also it really nice to meet others who has a service dog as well. I also belong to several  diabetic alert dog groups as well. I was reviewing some post in the service dog group and come upon a post by a member stating that diabetic alert dogs only perform one task but actually that is wrong. The group is not very accepting of diabetic alert dogs in the group which I am discovering the longer I have been in the group. I am really shocked that they think the diabetic alert dogs are not considered service dogs or that they have limited task they perform according to other disables individuals. The current law states that the dog must perform one task that the disabled person cannot perform that affects their daily lives. I know some people are pushing to make it three things and of course Duchess performs more than three things as well. Her task our to alert to low or high blood sugars, bring test kit, bring glucose tabs, and get assistance when I have seizure or a bad low. I am looking to teach her to dial on a dog phone 911 if no one is around. Normally I like to stick with my diabetic service dog group online which is diabeticalertdog.com

                     I know in life you will always meet people who do not like the idea of certain types of service animal. I know I have been criticized in the past by strangers and even friends because they could not understand why any one would need to have a service dog. I have had nothing but really scary situation the two years before I got Duchess which equaled many visits with EMS at home, work or friends houses. I always thought that the general public would possibly understand my need but the opposite is true. I have gotten lost for around a six hour period of time when I had a friend call me to ask where I was they were waiting for me. I was supposed to meet them and had not shown up. I have had 3 concussion the past 5 years from lows, fractured my toe, had stitches in my lip and has numerous seizures. I know each person diabetes is different and so it does make sense. I know my biggest supporter has always been my grandmother and my really close friends. I know with my disability being invisible it makes it difficult. In fact our building manager came to the front desk of my office to find out why I have Duchess. The front desk woman was at the training when I told them I want some privacy when it comes to my issues and not to share with everyone. I know she told him that the question was inappropriate and to contact the disabilities office if he needed information.

                     

No comments:

Post a Comment