Wednesday, April 22, 2015

What I Wish People Knew

I know some things I experience as a Diabetic most people would not understand because they have never experienced it. I know there is so many things I wish my own family understood because they don't see my Diabetes daily like when I was a child. So it can be difficult. The interesting thing is that my best friend really see's all my struggles and seems to get it. I appreciate all the people in the DOC because having people who understand is beyond wonderful.

What I Wish People Knew-


  • Even though I have struggles I don't need sympathy but just understanding.
  • Dealing with lows at night will always be an issue for me since my Hypoglycemia Unawareness diagnosis. I do try to avoid the lows but I at least now not quite as many
  • Not feeling lows in by far the scariest thing I have ever dealt with.
  •  Dealing with complications and the judgement that comes with it is indescribably difficult. I will never be able to overcome the judgements or assumptions but at least I can educate. 
  • I am not a punching bag for people because I have complications and you feel entitled to share you opinions.
  • In order to do activities I love I need to preplan everything in order to stay safe
  • Exercise and Hypoglycemia Unawareness I will struggle continually with lows but trying new things can help to avoid as many.
  • Diabetes is never easy and assuming it is makes me feel angry.
  • Having people understand that after a low is treated normally I am back to normal even after a seizure or bad low. 
  • Having a disability I feel I have ten times as much to prove in most areas of my life.
  • Even though I have overcome so much I really wish people would understand that I can do things that our challenging regardless off not feeling lows.
  • No matter what has happened I get up each and everyday and keep on going regardless if I am scared or tired.
  • Having a disability does not mean I do less work. 
  • I wish my family knew how hard I work to keep myself safe.
  • I am always way to critical of myself.
  • I wish people understood my frustrations when I go low several times in one day and how draining it can be.
  • I know my own family will never truly understand what it is like to be a Diabetic.
  • Judgements by Physicians is never appreciated especially when you know nothing about me.
  • We all need support and not judgement.
  • I wish Dr.'s would not make assumptions such as all Diabetic patients with Retinopathy have high blood pressure and high cholesterol when I have neither issue.
  • Being asked by Dr. how are things are going besides your Diabetes is appreciated. 
  • Hearing I know you have been working so hard to keep your diabetes well managed is priceless.
  • That no matter what is going on getting up and keep going helps me to keep my sanity.
  • Waking up to EMS is overwhelming and extremely embarrassing.
  • Having incidents at work, home and other locations can create an emotional overload.
  • Learning new things about my Diabetes frequently even after 34 years.
  • I am always working on keeping the lows to a minimum.

Diabetic Service Dogs:


  • I can still do most things but with some adjustments in how I do them
  • I have to think constantly about the safety of my Diabetic alert dog Duchess
  • I have to worry about staying within the standard service dog protocol and still keep up with my Diabetes can be stressful.
  • Having a service dog is incredibly stressful and a great deal of work
  • Public access challenges are never easy and you are expected to represent a whole community of people with disabilities so being polite as possible is a must.
  • I do not get much personal space having a service dog. She is always by my side. 
  • Service dogs have off days just like us.
  • Following the patches on my dogs service dog vest is always appreciated
  • Petting without asking makes me angry.
  • Talking to Duchess and ignoring me is not polite.
  • Giving me space is appreciated
  • If I say do not pet I really mean do not pet.
  • Distracting my service dog can lead to her not working.
  • Asking questions about my disability can be too personal.
  • Assuming having a service dog is fun but it is actually not fun but stressful at times.
  • Keeping your bond with you service dog takes work.
  • Keeping a balanced life with your service dog is a must.
  • Having a service dog will mean more work.

No comments:

Post a Comment