Friday, April 12, 2013

JDRF Mentor Meeting

                   I went to a meeting last night for a program through the JDRF mentor program which also had an opportunity for social interaction as well. It was such a great evening for learning about this program which I do plan on joining. I thought it would be a great opportunity to share what I have learned over the year for people just diagnosed or a couple years in who need some help. I had meet quite a few of the volunteers for the program at the Type 1 Now conference over the past two years. I did get asked if most people know Duchess's name and not mine but I said I was used to it. I am know at the diabetic girl with the alert dog but I know she is very memorable. It was nice to talk to other diabetics and parents about type 1 I always feel so much more empowered after these type of events. I am looking forward to being more involved in the program. I have been looking forward to being more involved in the JDRF as my schedule allows. I know there was a woman who had type 1 almost 50 years and I thought there was nothing she could learn from me but I thought it was funny that she wanted to know how I was able to get my Alc below a 7.0. I of course told her that I have been slightly pre-bolusing for my meals for the past 5 years and I have found less rise. The key to the bolusing before hand is finding the right amount of time before so you don't go low. I have figured out mine and it just took some time starting with 5 minutes before and moving up slightly till I found the time that was safe for me. I have also achieved days where I was a flat line but that is not everyday but I aim for that as much as possible.

                   I am hoping that when I get the opportunity to mentor that I really can help them figure out ways to handle all the crazy things D can throw at you. I know I am always learning myself and I hope to make more D connections in the future.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment