Thursday, April 11, 2013

A Journey into the Past

                      I have been thinking a lot about lows recently and I am not sure why I am thinking about lows so much but they have been on my mind. I think since they have been a constant part of my life during the past five years it seems normal to me but not normal for others. I know diabetes may vary and I know mine certainly does. I have been thinking about lows I had as a kid that no one noticed for quite a while but the weird thing is that it never occurred to me that I should of mentioned it to my parents or my Dr.'s back then.  Most of my childhood I have memories of lows that went on for a while but I was not cluing into the fact that I was low. I have a feeling my brain is trying to play tricks on me as always. I remember back in 2004 that I had a bad low where I do not remember several hours of time and I was late picking up my sister from work. I know at the time I did not think it was a big deal and that time I had no feeling of that low because I did not notice the increase of lows I was not feeling. I was also in the midst of struggling with my eating disorder and blamed that I had not eaten enough that day. I know my mother at the time didn't think anything was off either because there was not a lot of these lows. So I went on assuming that everything was fine. I find it interesting that I missed that I was slowly but surely losing my ability to feel lows. I am usually pretty observant of changes but honestly my Hypoglycemia Unawareness sneaked up on me very slowly in ninja like manner.

                     Hindsight is always 20/20 but I am still shocked five years later how I easily missed that my ability to sense lows were going and I had not clue. Well at least I am in a much safe place today because of my best friend Duchess and my CGM. I am really also surprised that I missed how much my B12 being low was affecting me. If my friends did not mention the comments I had made I am not sure I would of figured that out either. I am not as observant as I thought I was possibly or mabey my diabetes is keeping me busier than I realize.

No comments:

Post a Comment