Monday, April 29, 2013

Articles about Possible Cures

              I read an article recently about another possible cure. I know I read these articles much different than I did when I was younger. I like to think that I am a little more realistic of the time frames for a cure. I have been hearing for years that we will have a cure withing the next 5 to 10 years but it has never come. I still have hope but with a little more realism. I have dealt with diabetes almost 33 years and I would love a cure but my definition of a cure might differ from others. For me a cure would be having an insulin or medication that does not cause lows or highs and that is only taken once a month of a device that I can have a more normal life. To me that would be a cure but for others they would prefer no medications at all. I would just love to not to have to use all the devices and pay for all the absorbent cost of the devices. If I was able to have a little more freedom and now lows to worry about I would be happy. Right now my decisions in some ways are ruled by my lows even with having Duchess. I will never forge the bad lows or the embarrassment these lows have caused over the years. I know how close I have come to a very dangerous place because of these lows. I know a cure is really not quite here but I have a feeling it is much closer than even just ten years ago. I am always a big supporter of research but it takes time. If a cure never comes I am also okay with that as well because honestly I have spent so many years being a diabetic at this point it would almost seem strange to not be a diabetic.

4 comments:

  1. My husband feels a little like you. He would love a cure, sure. But he got Diabetes at 6 months old. He wouldn't know what to do with himself if he was cured. Also, a cure for type 1 wouldn't solve all his problems. His eyes would still be damaged and he would still be left with dead nerves and pain throughout his body. For us, the big issues are the complications instead of the diabetes itself. That part has become a piece of cake lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know a cure would at least stop the progression of the complication but it would not cure the existing issues from the complications. I honestly have no idea what I would do not doing my current routine. It is so ingrained in me that I would be a little lost as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read all of the articles about research for the cure that I can find. I do believe that we are close. My islet cell transplant feels very close and the process has moved forward even in the five years since I had it done. I'm excited about Sernova and the biohub. The fact that they are so similar means that they are probably going in the right direction for now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are closer I do agree but the FDA would be extremely slow in approving a cure for Diabetes as well. There is so many great research right now will be interesting to see which one's pan out.

    ReplyDelete