Monday, November 18, 2013

Noticing a Trend

I have been seeing an increasing number of articles about Diabetic Alert Dogs. The disturbing part for me is that most of these articles do not even discuss Hypoglycemia Unawareness. I do not think you would need a DAD unless you have Hypoglycemia Unawareness. I am concerned with the articles not addressing Hypoglycemia Unawareness that people who can feel lows will be out trying to get a Diabetic Alert dog when it is not necessary. I know I would not have Duchess unless it was necessary for me to have her. My life before was truly much simpler but also twice as dangerous once I was diagnosed with Hypoglycemia Unawareness. I tried everything I could from CGMS to increased testing to try and catch all the lows. Sadly not of these things were working. I was testing so much I was so frustrated that I was still missing lows.

I have also noticed many of the articles do not discuss all of the work that Diabetic Alert Dogs require to keep them working or even very few details about their training. I always worry about bad information being put out their by articles that I have run across recently.  I know these dogs are so incredible but I am really upset at the messages they are sending that everyone needs a Diabetic Alert Dog. I could not disagree more. I know so many people who need Diabetic Alert are not always able to get one especially if people are getting them who really don't need one. I know my Hypoglycemia Unawareness is truly the scariest thing I have faced as a type 1 diabetic. Even with having Duchess it is less scary but still has its moments of scary.

I know I wish no diabetic had to experience Hypoglycemia Unawareness and that we could all get by with using CGMS and frequent testing. Until that day comes I will continue to use a Diabetic Alert dog but only because it is the only option that has worked for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment