Friday, May 17, 2013

Swap

             Diabetes Blog Week Post for Today:  Just like in the movie, today we’re doing a swap. If you could switch chronic diseases, which one would you choose to deal with instead of diabetes? And while we’re considering other chronic conditions, do you think your participation in the DOC has affected how you treat friends and acquaintances with other medical conditions? (Thanks to Jane of Jane K. Dickinson, RN, PhD, CDE and Bob of T Minus Two for this topic suggestion.)


            I am going to cheat and take one of my current issues as what I would trade my diabetes for. I would not mind having Celiac's disease instead of diabetes. The reasons I would choose that is two fold. The first reason is that I eat very little processed foods verses before. My diet has always included fruit, nuts, lean meats and vegetables so pretty healthy. I really feel now that I eat so much better and have benefited by even better eating in most ways. I have found wonderful products for example that are processed but the ingredients are 3to 8 ingredients which I can pronounce. I also have found healthier options for eating out. I eat less of the really high carb foods as well. Overall my health is better than before because of the changes. The second reason it is so much easier to manage than my diabetes. Yes I do have to preplanned meals and where I am going to eat out but I have been very successful in being able to do so. There is the isolation factor at times because a person want to go to a pizza place but there is growing number of places now offering a gluten free options so I can eat out at more and more places. So overall I think it would be the easiest for me to deal with. I do miss some things but I have found better things as well.

                 I really do think participation in the DOC has affected me in great ways but I think being diabetic for most people will make you more compassionate of others dealing with issues. I know because of Duchess I have meet so many wonderful people who have struggles just like us diabetics and have their own obstacles and I respect that. I know I have always been advocate of disabilities and even more so now since I have Duchess. I am always working on education about disabilities in general because the public's perception is not always correct and accurate of disabilities. So by me educating maybe I will be making a difference in the long run.  The DOC has taught me so much and I have meet some of the most wonderful people imaginable who all are working to educate and inspire others.


No comments:

Post a Comment