Thursday, May 16, 2013

Accomplishments

           Diabetes Blog Week Post Topic:  We don’t always realize it, but each one of us had come a long way since diabetes first came into our life. It doesn’t matter if it’s been 5 weeks, 5 years or 50 years, you’ve done something outstanding diabetes-wise. So today let’s share the greatest accomplishment you've made in terms of dealing with your (or your loved one’s) diabetes. No accomplishment is too big or too small - think about self-acceptance, something you’ve mastered (pump / exercise / diet / etc.), making a tough care decision (finding a new endo or support group / choosing to use or not use a technology / etc.). (Thanks to Hilary of Rainie and Me for this topic suggestion.)

             There has been so much change over the past 33 years for me. I know when I was diagnosed in 1980 there were not test kits, fast acting insulin, insulin pumps, cgms or carbohydrate counting. Instead we has urine testing, exchanges, and only insulin injections. The insulin was beef and pork which were slow. The long acting was NPH which had terrible peaks and you had to eat at set time daily. The exchange diet system consisted of a set amount of fat, protein, etc in each meals. I remember back then I did not like to eat meat in the morning and told my mother no every morning because I only wanted meat at lunch and dinner. The exchange system was not fun but I did learn some key things I still follow today. I do not eat high fat meats for example and white starchy products are not healthy. I still avoid white bread and white rice because it is not as healthy as brown rice for example. Crazy how much things have changed and so has how I deal with things as well.

               I would have to say my biggest accomplishment is my ability to tell others I am diabetic and also not be afraid of letting it all show. Right now my CGM is hanging on arm and my sleeve is not covering it and I do get stares but I am not really caring because after all my issue I am just glad it is working better than it was. My pump tubing is slightly hanging out as well and I am used to this because at times I will wear my pump on my belt with my clip and I know I look like a robot but I am robot who has great control so I don't really care. I have been working really hard the past five years to go with the thought process of take me as I am because this is all part of my life. I feel better putting it out in the open because I have spent the majority of my life hiding it and not discussing it but now it is a huge part of my life in many ways from my blog to my friends I have made who are diabetic. I do when I go some where dressy will move my pump out of sight but most of the time when I am at work I wear my pump clip. I must admit it is strange in the mornings I don't wear my clip until I get too work all I can say is I have some weird habits but that is me. I think i am afraid between Duchess and my stuff that it will get knocked off which has happened so It is easier to handle once I am at work. I am much happier than all the years I spend time hiding it. Even when I was dating I would go to the bathroom to give injections so they would not know and after a month or so I would get up the courage to tell them. I am much different know that I am very upfront but I still struggle with that aspect but not as much as in the past. I feel like after all these years I would be the most comfortable about it but the opposite was true until several years ago.


                

2 comments:

  1. Hi Tarragon, we're in Texas too. I have rheumatoid arthritis, my husband and our daughter have type 1, and he also has Addison's. our son has periodic fever syndrome and severe food allergies, so aren't we all in fine fettle! I like that you feel more comfortable sharing now. My husband was anxious at first, but much more comfortable now. I hope my daughter can grow up feeling at ease about her diabetes because I think it will be less stressful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Getting used to having Diabetes really has made things easier over the past few years. I am hoping your daughter is able to achieve the same.

    ReplyDelete