Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Most Memorable Diabetes Days

          Diabetic Blog Week Post for Wednesday:  Today we’re going to share our most memorable diabetes day. You can take this anywhere.... your or your loved one's diagnosis, a bad low, a bad high, a big success, any day that you’d like to share. (Thanks to Jasmine of Silver-Lined for this topic suggestion.)


         I would have to say that my most memorable day was not the best of days but I don't think I will ever forget it. During my seizures at work last September I was awake and very aware of my seizure. This was the first time I was conscious during one. It was so incredibly painful and completely strange because I had absolutely no control over my bad. I remember in mind trying desperately to get the shaking to stop. Before the seizure had started Duchess had alerted and I was drinking juice then I started to shake and put the juice down and went into my seizure. I am not sure what I could of done differently to have prevented it from happening but I having vivid memories of a seizure was less than ideal. I know I remember my coworkers trying to keep me in my chair so I did not fall and hut myself. My coworker had her hand on the chair and I reached down and latched onto her hand and left marks because during a seizure you really don't have any control over your body for the most part. I still feel guilty about latching down my fingernails in her hand but she was very forgiving about it and said that it happens. I know during the seizure Duchess was right by me and I was petting her during the middle of my seizure. I know how these events affect Duchess and how she blames herself for them so I think I was trying to tell her it was okay during the middle of it. I know I am still suprised I was awake during that seizure over the years I have never had where I was conscious during it and hoping to avoid seizures all together.

         I would have to say my positive memorable moment for me was has been that the past five years I have had my A1c under 7 and plan on keeping that way if at all possible. I know most of my ability to get there was through people I meet on tudiabetes and other sites with their tips and tricks. I found what works for me. I know I do test frequently, have Duchess, Dexcom and insulin pump. The first 4 years of this I only had the insulin pump and 3 years ago I received Duchess. The last thing I have added is my CGM but overall these tools really have helped me to achieve better results that I feel like I can be proud of. I still have to work very hard to maintain the Alc's but it has been well worth it so far. I am hoping just as long as my CGM and pump sites don't give me issues I will be able to continue using all these tools to accomplish more and more of my diabetic goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment