Monday, March 4, 2013

JDRF Type 1 Now Conference

                     I went to the JDRF Type 1 Now conference in Austin this past Saturday. The key note speaker was Manny Hernandez who is the founder of Tudiabetes and the Diabetes Hands Foundation. He has given our diabetic community a very great place to ask questions, get information, frequent speakers, chat but most of all a place where a diabetic does not feel alone. I know he spoke about how when you are the only diabetic you know how alone you can feel which is quite true. I found Tudiabetes shortly after my mother passed away from a heart condition she was also a type 1 diabetic. I had on and off through the years felt very alone especially before my mom developed type 1. Then I had her and so we could talk about the diabetic stuff as well. So I felt very understood and not quite so alone. When she passed away I felt incredibly alone with my diabetes and then my diagnosis of Hypoglycemia Unawareness which was incredibly scary for me. So I was googling about Hypoglycemia Unawareness and came across a post on Tudiabetes on the web. I joined that night and have been a member since 2008. I felt not alone once I found Tudiabetes. I have developed some great friendships with some fellow members which is wonderful. I have meet them in person and could not be thankful enough for how Tudiabetes changed my life.

                     Tudiabetes at the time had list of blogs and I had never realized at the time how many they actually are. I started reading diabetic blogs and in fact starting blogging on Tudiabetes posting it on my profile. I am not really active as much these days because of my blogging and reading all the blogs I have been following keeps me really busy not including all the other social media that is involved. I have been listening to some of the guest speakers they have on Tudiabetes which I have really enjoyed. There is so many great aspects on tudiabetes these days. During the months following signing up with Tudiabetes I researching something online and found an article about diabetic alert dogs. That was the start of my journey to getting Duchess. I know that Tudiabetes in many ways is a big part of where I am today. I have learned so much from the people on that website and in fact my A1c has been under 6.9 the past 5 years which is exactly where I want it to be.

                       Diabetic Social Media has transformed how I get my information and how I use this information. I find out about the latest by following some great diabetic sites, twitter and Facebook. Social media will continue to shape how I handle my diabetes and for the better. I can't thank Manny enough for creating such a great online site for diabetics and creating the Diabetes Hands Foundation which is doing wonderful things. I am big on participation on the Big Blue Test every year. It shows how much even 20 minutes can lower your blood sugar and also how this will end up helping people who do not have access to the many things all of us have. He has done so much for the diabetic community. I was fortunate to be able to chat with him in person for the first time after chatting on Tudiabetes over the years. It is so nice to actually meet someone in person Manny was as so very friendly and was such a pleasure to meet him finally. I have meet some people in person and they seemed so different online but Manny was as he seemed. Below is a picture of Manny me and Duchess.






Link to tudiabetes :  http://www.tudiabetes.org/
Link to Diabetes Hands Foundation : http://www.diabeteshandsfoundation.org/

Big Blue Test: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL587A50D8F42115FB

2 comments:

  1. So glad you had an opportunity to listen to Manny! He's great, and as you've said, has created a wonderful resource for those of us with diabetes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was nice to meet the person behinds so many great projects. I am hoping in the future to meet more of the diabetics in interact with online.

    ReplyDelete