Thursday, August 2, 2012

Research into Diabetic Alert Dogs

             I have noticed over the past two years that when my blood sugars start to move Duchess begins to move closer and closer to me. She tends to be right on top of me right before I go low most of the time. I think she stays closer so she can alert much faster if it drops dramatically. I have had quite a few what I like to call freight train drops of at least 60 or more points in under 5 minutes. I know I have scared Duchess quite well several times with seizures or lows where I injure myself. I am a huge klutz when I'm low most of time. I have read quite a few articles over the past several years stating that diabetic alert dogs do not alert to the scent but to the body language of the person. I disagree with this completely. I know she has been asleep like I was and woke me up in the middle of the night to alert to a low. My body language in my sleep would be a little hard for me buy in that case. I'm sure we all do have patterns of behavior when were low in some cases but I don't believe that Duchess is reading body language when she has woken people up to tell them I am about to have a seizure. I know she is smelling something that my body is putting off in my mind. I have many friends who would agree with this. 
Typically she will stand next to my legs normally as my blood sugars start to move like in this picture. I went low about 10 minutes later.

                  I was very pleased to see that Lily is doing a study about diabetic alert dogs to find out what they are really smelling or sensing. All I know is that I sent scent samples to the trainer and the minute I walked in the door to meet Duchess she already knew who I was and she loved me immediately. I am hoping this study will finally show what I already believe to be true that the dogs are able to detect the chemical changes in the body by scent. I have heard from so many that there is not way the dog can be smelling the change but I know when your high you can have a fruity smell so why would the dogs not be able to detect these changes.               

 http://www.indystar.com/article/20120730/PROMO/120730033/1003/BUSINESS

No comments:

Post a Comment