Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Another Emergency

                I sadly had another seizure on Monday morning at work. I don't have any recollection of what happened except my coworkers keeping me in my chair while I finished seizing which is good because I tend to hit my head or hurt myself otherwise. This seizure was painful in that the end of it I could feel and most of the time I am not with it enough to notice the pain. Duchess had alerted my co-worker to my seizure and saved me again. The EMS was called and I was coming out of it and felt fine. So I told them to cancel the EMS call I was 50 and I treated the low and took my insulin pump off. I felt really hot and was trying to take a minute to rest before I took Duchess out  because these incidences really scare her. That was the last thing I remember before waking up to EMS taking me out on a stretcher as almost all of the people in my office watching including the directors. The embarrassment level is always so high when this happens. I feel like I want to hide under my desk when this happens. I head to the hospital to what I expected to be a normal what happened to cause the two seizures what could of been done differently. I had a very normal Monday not one thing different from any other Monday even my Sunday night was typical. So I have no clue really as to the cause.

                      The Endocrinologist at the ER thought I needed to be watched over night to make sure I had no further seizures. This was a rather strange experience for me in that most of the times after a seizure they send me home and I do great. I was not a happy to say the least. My boss and supervisor accompanied me to the ER as well. I am not sure how I felt about this. I know my co-workers and supervisors care, but honestly most of my past experiences they let me go to the ER by myself and contacted my emergency contacts. I am extremely stressed because these seizures scare me to death and I also know that my work could end up changing. I am scared to know if my work is going to try and get rid of me. I have had issues before at my work place but different department I had one incident where EMS was called and they wanted me to quit after that. I know how they get away with it and have watched them do it to several people over the time I have worked at my jobs in different departments. The good part is that my boss and supervisor all seem very supportive right now, but the thought of that changes scares me. I have fought so hard to get a job I like and to thought as disposable because of the possibility of a seizure seems crazy. I know work prefer to not have interruptions like I had and most of the time it is not an issue.

                        I was upset that I was stuck over night at the ER when I tested more when I am at home then they did when I was in the hospital. They also labeled me as a high fall risk and added seizure pads to the bed in case I had another. I am not usually put into the neurology unit at the hospital, but I guess they assumed I would have another one. They ran the normal tests that always come back as negative. They tested me for adrenal insufficiency and addisons disease. They checked my thyroid and other general work ups they do for a person being hospitalized. The funny thing is my potassium came back low when I know I had been drinking more water and propel because of the heat. I know my boss had said in the ER they thought the area around my desk was too hot and they were planning on buying a fan to cool my work area just to make sure that was not a contributing factor. After a discussion today with my bosses they want written instructions on what to do in these types of emergencies which is good, but one issue is that I do not have the most obvious signs of lows. I know this can make things difficult. I know I scared my co-workers and I am not really ready to deal with that just yet, hopefully they will all be understanding. I always feel so alone when I have these seizures and it makes things so much harder to deal with.

4 comments:

  1. Tarra I am so sorry this happened again. I lost my job 10 years ago for the same reason. Unfortunately I have not been able to work since due to other complications. Lows are so scary when they end in seizure. I wake up in so much pain and I feel so stupid. Even though I know its not my fault. Good luck, if you ever need to talk to someone who gets it, let me know...

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, make sure that Duchess gets extra treats and hugs!! We also have a guide dog for my husband and know how dedicated they are. It's so confusing for them when situations happen, even though its what they are trained for. But I also know what it's like to have a low around people that you work with. In time it will feel normal again, but just know they care about you too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jamie I will make sure she gets plenty of extra love, treats and more. She deserves it. I know the seizures and bad lows are very hard for her, but she seems overall to handle them fairly well. I am hoping that things will settle down at work in a few days. I know I have meetings about what happened and how to make things easier if it ever happens again.

      Delete
  3. Thank you Tina. I have had terrible issues with discrimination because of my diabetes and then you add the occasional seizures or lows most places want to fire or get rid of me sadly. I am hoping things turn out okay this time. The seizures are terrible working on ways to prevent them but running high is not ideal when I already have complications. Tired of hearing that is the only way. Diabetes can be so tough to deal with at times.

    ReplyDelete