Friday, August 17, 2012

Looking Back at Access Issues

              One of the hardest aspect of having a service dog for me has been how much I have to fight for even access to a grocery store or to have my disability plan for college followed. I have spent a great deal of time working on access issues. It is not that I don't want to fight but when it's constant it becomes another stress-or. I have teamed up with a service dog group of guide dogs to help educate where I live. I always thought because it was a dog friendly city that I would not have much issue, but the opposite has been true. I know I would not change getting Duchess, but I wish more people understand that because of my disability access with her is necessary. I know most people think because the laws protect you, but most of the time if they are unaware of the law things do not always go as they should. I do always pursue every access issue I encounter because my actions affect every service dog team that comes after me. I am hoping as I educate that people as I can.

             I know quite a few people who have had issues trying to take their service animals to work even as adults. I am hoping as the more time goes by that more work places will become more comfortable with the laws and making the appropriate accommodations. I have been blessed in that because I work at a large University that they do follow the laws for the most part. I have found after my seizure thankfully they have come around and things have returned to normal. The University also allows me two weeks paid time off for time when I need to train with my next service animal which is a wonderful benefit. There is the good and the bad, but I'm sure over time things will improve.

1 comment:

  1. I like to share what I have learned and experienced when I can. Thank you for reading my blog.

    ReplyDelete