Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Educating Those Around Us.

                 I forgot some things when I went to the grocery store this week and so I ran in to get a few things. I was walking through the produce aisle and there a young boy and a woman. The woman politely pointed out Duchess. He goes I wonder what that dogs job is. The woman responded I am not sure but you know what lets Google about service animals when we get home. That way you can learn about all the different types of service animals. The boy seemed excited by the idea. He then looked at the woman and said she is different than Mark's dog he has. The woman responded I'm sure that woman's dog had a different job than Mark's dog. Mark's dog is a guide dog and helps him to get around. The women and the little boy continued the conversation with him asking questions. We were then very close to each other and I could not resist and had to say something. I turned to the woman and said Thank You! I really appreciate you educating him about service animals. I wish more parents and adults would do the same. The woman politely asked what kind of service dog is your beautiful dog. I said she alerts me to low or high blood sugars. I am a type 1 diabetic for 32 years now. I can no longer feel lows or highs. He grandson as it turns out was just fascinated by this. They then asked me if I knew some of the types of service dogs there are currently and I listed off a few. I then thanked her again for taking the time and for telling him that service dog should not be pet or distracted for any reason. I was so impressed that she also wanted to spend the time to Google and research to find out more.



                         I really wish I had more time I would be volunteering at schools trying to educate children about disabilities and service animals. I have run across children who were telling their parents not to distract the working dog because that could be dangerous. Those days really make me smile. I am hoping eventually that I will have time to take off of work to do more education locally.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Tarra,
    I think I have read your site before, but I'm a first time commenter. Just wanted to say thanks for sharing your story.

    I really enjoyed this one, and how you took the time out to talk to them. Before stumbling on the few blogs of PWDs with alert dogs, I didn't know they existed either :]. One of the best things about kids is their hunger to learn more about pretty much anything--I find a lot of the time, anything about a) animals or b) helping people and they get really excited :].

    Anyway, I'm glad you and Dutchess have each other, and are able to help educate the world one person at a time. I'd love to talk more and would definitely love to have you guest post about your story if you're interested in reaching some more people :].

    Good things!
    --Kerri [kerriontheprairies.com / kerriontheprairies [at] gmail [dot] com]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kerri,
    Thank you for commenting. I'm glad you liked the blog. I know I love educating when I can. This was such a great experience and I love to teach children when I can they are so wonderful about teaching others.

    Tarra

    ReplyDelete