Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Is Two Diabetics Too Much

I know I am with the upcoming move I have some concerns not about my relationship but with Duchess. I know alerting to two Diabetics is risky in that she could be distracted by John's blood sugars too. I know I worry that she will get over worked when at home trying to manage two Diabetics instead of just one. I know when I have spent several weeks with him she did great but I worry about the long term which I am not sure how she will handle things. I know she loves me but I also know I am responsible for her as well. So I am not sure how I will handle this if it does become an issue. I need Duchess to alert to my blood sugars because things can get bad really quickly. I know John is there most of the time so that is great but I know I have to worry about Duchess becoming burned out or worse stop working all together

I know I am thrilled by everything but I know I am not overly concerned yet I am sure I will know soon enough but I also know I am completely dependent on her alerting. I have had her for 5 years on the 15th of this month so I am so used to her doing what I need. I know my concerns could be unfounded but I generally like things to work well. I know Duchess has also been through an incredibly stressful period of time since June and she is finally starting to regain some weight that she lost. So I am really hoping and praying that she will be able to keep up with my alerts but I also know she tends to alert for both of us. I don't want her to not alert for John because we all can end up low and not feel it which happens for him on occasion. I would rather us both be safe if at all possible.

I know Duchess really loves us both and at the end of the day I know I am responsible for taking care of  her like she takes care of me. I know we have had to go through so much recently I feel like we are an even better team because of all the crazy obstacles too. I am also thankful that Duchess is now not wearing the collar around her neck and is back to her normal self and paws are healing great.

4 comments:

  1. ...I think with your diligence it will be fine, a dog can (several do) alert to more than one person in a household (almost impossible for the dog to NOT notice every scent in the area-we cannot turn off our noses to bad smells-we wish..haha) ... and it would not be overtaxing (most of our dogs suffer from boredom more than too much work-grin) for a dog to alert to 2 (more than likely you won't both have stubborn highs or lows at the same time & they hey, outside doggie time or good chew bone for distraction if that did happen. You will still be her primary concern & w/o huge reward parties for alerting to John, she will keep you as her prime concern. Enjoy your happiness

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ann. I was thinking she could handle it but I was not sure. I know it will be an interesting time for Duchess I am sure. I know we both have such different issues thankfully we are not always having the issues. Duchess seems to be able to tell the difference. She has never not told the correct person when she alerts. Thanks Ann I am just thrilled for the next adventure.

      Delete
  2. but, like any new team member, John will have to downplay how much fun he is to be around, dogs will and do pick their favorite person

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know because Duchess separation anxiety that I am working on she is seems overly focused on me and so that has not been an issue yet.

      Delete