Thursday, May 14, 2015

Diabete Blog Week #4 - Changes

Diabetes Blog Week#4- Changes

Click for the Changes - Thursday 5/14 Link List.
Today let's talk about changes, in one of two ways.  Either tell us what you'd most like to see change about diabetes, in any way.  This can be management tools, devices, medications, people's perceptions, your own feelings – anything at all that you feel could use changing.  OR reflect back on some changes you or your loved one has seen or been through since being diagnosed with diabetes.  Were they expected or did they surprise you?

I know there is so many things I would love to see change. I know I wish all patients has a medical team like my own. This team every visit asks me how I am doing. This was the first time in 30 some years and I had never been asked how are things outside of the Diabetes. I know I have suffered from depression over the years and it was nice to be asked that question. It also creates a good dialogue between the patient and physician if you are depressed or just feeling overwhelmed. I know I need to feel like they care and want to help me achieve the best results even when times are really tough. 

I know I spent 4 years of my teenage years in a depression and no one noticed till the end of the 4th year. I know life is always so busy it can be really easy to miss when some one is depressed. I know the more they address the issues the less likely we as the patients are to get burned out or just plain give up. I know my previous Endocrinologist never seemed to address the fact that there is a chance the patient is depressed or having issues with mental issues while dealing with a chronic illness. I am thankful they are starting to focus more on the patients mental health now but we have so far to go to make sure we all can be successful patients.

I know when I get burned out I am normally depressed or just plain tired. I know I do my best to prevent burn out but carrying around so much responsibility is tough for anyone. We don't get days off or vacations so addressing the mental side of things in so incredibly important. Even though I have an Alc I have always dreamed of I still find it difficult to keep up with the demands of my health. I know we all will struggle but it would be nice if more Dr. 's stopped to ask the important questions that keep patients working on keep their Diabetes in good control. I know I wish I had this back when I was a teenage because I know I really needed it back then. 

No comments:

Post a Comment