Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Blog Week Post #2 Keep it to Yourself

                                               
  Blog Week Post #2 Keeping it to yourself

Click for the Keep it to Yourself - Tuesday 5/12 Link List.
Many of us share lots of aspects of our diabetes lives online for the world to see.  What are some of the aspects of diabetes that you choose to keep private from the internet?  Or from your family and friends?  Why is it important to keep it to yourself?  (This is not an attempt to get you out of your comfort zone.  There is no need to elaborate or tell personal stories related to these aspects.  Simply let us know what kinds of stories we will never hear you tell, and why you won't tell them.) (Thank you Scott E of Rolling in the D for this topic.)


I know I have always prided myself on sharing everything including the moments of scary which I have had quite a few of the past seven year in particular. The certain areas I don't share on my blogs is who I am dating and if I am single etc. I feel that if I was married I might share a small bit but I am most comfortable just leaving that information out. I know another area I won't share is other conditions outside my Diabetes except the one's that are other Endocrine issues.

I know I do have Rheumatoid Arthritis, Celiac's Disease, Diabetic Retinopathy and Hypoglycemia Unawareness. I have always shared as I develop complications right away on my blog. I have found that I feel better if I share as it is happening. I know I did with my Retinopathy Diagnosis but I had Hypoglycemia for several years before I started my blog. I like to share as it happens because at one time I was looking for another person who was going through the same complication but found no blogs. That is why I started blogging back in May of 2012. Sharing my Diabetes related information is wonderful in that I can put this stuff I am carrying around online instead of on my own shoulders.

I know this past year in January I would not disclose what type of procedure I was having because it was not Diabetes related but I blogged about it because it was causing many issues for me with my Diabetes. I feel that sharing exactly the issue was best kept to myself because I know I needed the privacy I know I wished I could share but I know that it really was best left unsaid. I am doing so much better now with the quick procedure that was done and my graphs on my Dexcom are almost back to they way they were back when I first started on the Dexcom. I honestly had no idea how much the issues was causing issues with my Diabetes which does happen. I am thankful I had a wonderful Dr. who my Endocrinologist recommended. I know I think we all have some things that are just not appropriate for our blogs. I know I felt better in the long run not discussing it and I know having some privacy is really nice in times like these.

I know I am hoping you all understand the reasoning behind not sharing my procedure and my dating life because I think that information might create issues. I know if you list a person on your blog anyone can read it and so you also need to think about them. So by leaving the off the blog I can discuss them without naming them but I find it is just better to keep my that off my blog and just in my personal life. There will always be parts of our lives we won't share. 

No comments:

Post a Comment