Wednesday, October 8, 2014

When Generics Are Not the Same

There was an article a couple weeks ago that was placed on Facebook page by a Diabetic friend. I was taking the drug mentioned in the article for around 6 months before I stopped taking it. The interesting thing for me was that the previous time I took Wellbutrin for depression it worked incredibly well in fact I did not need to go back on them again for another 5 years. So when I asked for Wellbutrin my pharmacy sent me the generic but the previous time I took the actual Wellbutrin. I did not realize at the time that was the issue with why the drug seemed to not be working this time. So sadly for over a year now I have been struggling on and off with depression and feeling overwhelmed that it was not working. I did not mention the issue to the Dr. because I did not really want to try another brand of drug at that point with this one not working. Wellbutrin was the best drug I have ever taken for my depression so I was really upset by my poor results the second time taking it.

The article below talks about how the generic do not work and they really are only causing issues. So it all makes sense now. I just wish I had done more because I have been in a funk for a while and felt like I could muddle through it but I have not been able to do as much because I am still battling my depression to an extent the frequent exercise I do has really helped but I really want to get back to myself again. I am thankful for the article that was on Facebook and glad that I have answers. I am going back to my Dr.'s at the end of this month and I will be asking for their help in appealing for the name brand drug. I know I was told no over the phone by the pharmacy but my Dr. is wonderful in getting me what I need so I plan on bringing it up. I am kind of mad at myself for not speaking up sooner. I have control in how things play out but at the time I know being depressed also can make me very inactive on my part as well. So I am hoping I can get what I need without too much fight but I guess we will see.

The article is not the same as the one on facebook but quite close to the original article

http://www.propublica.org/article/no-substitute-when-a-generic-drug-isnt-what-it-seems    

No comments:

Post a Comment