Thursday, January 3, 2013

Alerting

                        Today is my first day back in the office for the New year. I am hoping I can get back into my routine as quickly as possible but I guess we will see. Last year it took me a couple of days to get there. Duchess was completely back on track when I got back home which is great. She has been really good about alerting me pawing or licking my hand. I am not going to train her to use a bringsel because she seems to not like the lick or paw method as much now. I think she just needs some change. Normally Duchess and I find an agreeable method for the alerts. She lows to bump my hand but I really do not like that kind of alert or a whine. I hate whining in general so that would not work for me. I tend to ignore her when she whines and bumps my hand. I am not sure if the bringsel will work but worth a try. I will keep you updated on my progress of the training. I am open to making the process of her alerting easier. If the dog tires of an alert they could also stop alerting as well normally Duchess lets me know in her own way that she wants to change alerts.

Bringsel
Bringsel
                                        Bringsel

                         The most interesting thing about diabetic alert dogs like Duchess is how they let you know when they are ready for a different alert. I know she is very smart and still continues to amaze me with ability to communicate the need to change in her own way. I am not a fan of using a bringsel but it will work better for her I will try it out. I am just affraid that I will miss a low if she is just standing there with a bringsel. The good part is that she can use her old alerts as a back up method of alerting. I am hoping this will also keep her interest in alerting these dogs are so smart sometimes doing the same task can become boring so always good to be trying new things.

No comments:

Post a Comment