Thursday, June 7, 2012

Things I did not know

           Life has given me so many blessing and I feel grateful to have those blessings. When I decided to get Duchess I knew my life would change but I don't think I was truly prepared for certain aspects of having a diabetic alert dog. I know the constant stares, pointing, and the weird noises people make at Duchess. I have had people (adults) bark at her which in my mind is crazy. I have never been able to figure out why. I am not sure if they are trying to get her to bark which would not be good because service animals are not allowed to bark while on duty. The hardest part for me is how people's perceptions of you change. I have noticed that people will either ignore you or they stare and make a huge fuss when they see Duchess. The other obstacle is the stigma's people have about disabled people. I hope that I can help change that stigma.
The Tower that I work in. Love the campus I work on.
                  
          I read an interesting article about three  months ago that said on average that disabled employee's miss less days than their healthy co-workers which I found to be interesting. I know I started my current job in December of 2011. I have not missed one day of work and have only had the holiday's off. I do have vacation but I have not used any. My co-workers on average have each used at least a week or more of time off just since I started there has been numerous people out sick but I the immune compromised person but have not missed a day. I have always been that way technically and I don't see that changing anytime soon. The funny thing is that most employer's would not give a disabled person a chance even though statistically they can be great employee's. I know even with having a service dog I am willing to get the job done even if that mean's working over time. While some of my co-worker are out the door the minute it's 5pm.

           

No comments:

Post a Comment