Monday, June 25, 2012

So Many.

           I know I feel so lucky these days to have health insurance. I did not have health insurance while I was recently in college. The insurance they did have did not cover any diabetic supplies so it was not worth the cost. I ended up using the patient assistant programs to get my insulin for free and other programs to help supplement my health care needs. I went to low cost health care clinics and so forth this was not easy with a low cost health clinic. I normally could spend over two hundred dollars on one appointment at the low cost health clinic. The care I received was not as thorough as needed but it was what I could afford at the time. I know there has been some very generous people who helped me when I was in college by donating insulin pump supplies they did not need. I know now everyday I am thankful for the fact that my health insurance does cover all the devices I need but even with insurance I am still am paying out quite a bit for a new insulin pump which I am in the process of getting. I could not imagine trying to pay out of pocket for an insulin pump. I'm sure most people could not afford one without health insurance.

                         One Touch Ultra 50 Diabetic Test Strips

           I know there has been times in my life where I could not afford to test enough even with insurance or the coverage for my insulin was slim to none. Sadly not all insurance plans are created equally. I know these years did not help me as a diabetic. I know how hard it can be to pay for test strips out of pocket when they can be so expensive even for just 50 test strips even with buying them on Ebay. I have done this quite a few times and it was much cheaper than in the stores. There is also places like amazon that also sells test strips as cheaper prices if you watch for them. I really wish that diabetics never had to worry if they had enough money for insulin and test strips. It seems so crazy today how many people have trouble being able to afford these items. I know there are charities that provide test strips but there is never enough test strips for all. I really wish that we never had to choose between bills or supplies like so many diabetics do. I have seen people in my diabetic meet up group share old supplies they did not need to help others in the group which is wonderful for those people. I am feel so fortunate to be able to get a new insulin pump that I need. I have so many troubles with long acting insulin's if I use them more than a week or two. I know not being on a pump is not really an option for me currently and also because I have an increased amount of lows on long acting insulin. I know its a pipe dream but it would be so nice if there was a universal health care system that addressed the needs of everyone and not just the insured.

No comments:

Post a Comment