Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Bad Habits

           I got up today as I always do rushing around to make sure I am out the door on time. I went to test my blood sugar quickly as I was trying to finish up making my lunch. I had just touched some fruit slices that I keep in my purses for lows because I needed to refill my bag. I did not think about it and tested my blood sugar. There must of been some left on my finger because it came back 498 my moth dropped as I read the number. I was grabbing for my insulin. I was about to draw up a correction dose and I stopped for a minute. I had a bad experience not too long ago doing the same thing. I thought maybe I should wash my hands first and retest. Sure enough that was the right thing to do. I was actually 102.

The meter I am dying to switch too. Most likely will ask to at next appointment.
                                                    

          That would have been disastrous to of given a correction for being 498 and actually only being 102. I actually really horrible about cleaning my fingers before I test I have to admit. When you test over 10 times a day you if becomes a real hassel to carry enough alcohol wipes for that. So most of the time i wing it but I do carry some alcohol wipes for this situation when I feel some thing might be off. Changing my lancets is another thing I don't do frequently either. I have been terrible for years about that but my mom as a nurse said since I am the only one using it there is not reason to change it every time. So I don't and I do tend to change it when it starts to hurt. So sadly I do have some bad habits but who does not. Just really relieved to of caught that one this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment