Wednesday, June 13, 2012

A Very Educated Parent.

                 I was going a short shopping trip to my local grocery store yesterday evening. As I was walking down the aisle I see a father and daughter. The little girl asks her dad why I have my dog in the store.
The father then tells his daughter that is a service animal. Then the little girl asks the father why someone would need a service dog. He starts telling her about dogs for blind, epilepsy, mobility, and other medical conditions. Then the little girls stares at me for a couple of minutes with a very puzzled look. She then asks her father why I would have a dog because she does not see anything wrong with me. The father then starts telling her about hidden disabilities. He basically says to her not all conditions are visible and someone can appear fine but have a very serious condition. The little girl then looks at me again. She then says to her father how do you know that she has a disability. He says when watch a service dog team you can see the bond. He pointed out to her how my dog was staying very close and she was always watching me. He told her a trainer of a service dog would not been as bonded with the dog like I was with mine.

                 I was then going down the aisle past the father and daughter. I said to the father thank you for educating you daughter so well about service animals. I can't tell you how much it is appreciated. I continued walking down the aisle looking for some gluten free flour I needed. I was smiling so big after this experience. It makes my life so much easier when parents teach their kids about disabilities and service animals. I have run across this a couple of times at stores in the past but never a person who actually had all the correct answers for the their child. I could not of been more pleased.

No comments:

Post a Comment