Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Office Encounter

              Working at a big University is a really great place to work in that most of the time there is a large number of well informed and educated people around for the most part. I am still astonished yesterday by an encounter in my managers office. She just moved into the same building as my department is in which will make things easier for all of us employee's. The office she is located at has some of the higher level positions from several Directors to Financial Manager etc. I had been over to my bosses new office several times. She had a temporary work area over there over the past month and I have been introduced to many of the higher ups and I think because of Duchess they all seem to know my name now which is funny because without her I am doubting they would of paid as much attention to who I was. Duchess has opened many doors for me professionally and personally which I would of never expected. I have been asked to do special projects and so forth.

               I was leaving my bosses office when the executive assistant for the Chief Financial officer approached me. She said I have some questions for you real quick. She looks down at Duchess and said is she done training yet? I said she is a fully trained. The look on the executive assistants face was interesting enough. She then replied I assumed you were training her for someone else. I said no she is actually mine. Then she said we having been talking about Duchess for about a week or so now trying to figure out what she does. I told her that I don't share that information with people because it is not professional and is quite personal.

              I am still thrown off by it all. Why is it so hard to believe that I have a need for a service dog? The funny thing to me about this all is that people are not sure how to take the fact that I need a service animal at all. Most of the time they pity me when no pity is necessary. This is my life good or bad it's my life and I'm okay with it. I do the best I can and this is my reality but why can't our society accept that I have a need for her. I know that  invisible disabilities are often so misunderstood.and that's why it's my personal mission to educate the general public as much as possible. I think I have a large amount of work ahead of me. I guess the best part for me no matter if people accept it or not I am blessed to have my best friend Duchess. She has made quite and impression on who ever she meets. I know from Duchess prospective she probably loves these encounters because she always knows when I'm talking about her.

No comments:

Post a Comment