Friday, June 15, 2012

I Miss Having the Symptoms of Lows

               I had a low that would not go away for several hours yesterday when I was at work. I kept eating glucose tabs and candy to get my blood sugar above 80. I hate when that happens and I can never exactly figure out why all of a sudden my body just wants to hang out at 45 for an hour or two. I so miss the days when I would feel the tremble and my heart beat pick up. I would feel panicky, sweaty or anxious. I know most people hate these feelings but when you have no symptoms anymore you really miss them. I have had hypoglycemia unawareness for over 4 years now. I do get lucky occasionally to where I will feel my heart beat pick up slightly or my lips start to sort of go numb but not enough to rely upon it like I used to.

               I now usually get a brain fuzziness that I have trouble realizing I'm low or possibly my breathing is slightly off but if I busy I miss the symptoms completely. Most of the time I get lucky if I notice anything actually. Highs are the same way I really have not symptoms what so ever. I don't get thirsty, hungry, moody, or fast heart beat like I used to. The part that is the scariest for me is that need to treat a low is gone. The most interesting part for me is over the past four years I really have to push myself to treat a low right away. It's really funny part is that I know I need to treat it right away but without the adrenaline rush I tend to take a minute or two longer really to jump into gear at times. I am of course working on this because that could end up being dangerous. I am extremely lucky in that Duchess goes above and beyond with her persistence in reminding me that I need to check my blood sugar because it's moving quickly. It is so helpful that she keeps on me about my blood sugar at times. I am really shocked at how much I used to rely upon that adrenaline response to react so quickly when I was low. I feel so blessed to have Duchess to remind that yes I need to test right now on the days that I seem to forget how important is to test right now and not two or three minutes later.

No comments:

Post a Comment