Thursday, June 28, 2012

Relationships and D

            I was talking to a woman after work the other day. Her husband it a type 1 diabetic and she was with her husband on a trip recently. She was heading into a different shop than her husband. I guess at the time they had been walking for quite a while and he was low and had hoped she would notice. She did not really notice and he ended up having to run into a store to get something for his low. She said he used to more aware of when he was low but that has been changing over the past year or two. I  know the low had scared her and she was thinking of how great it would be fore him to have a companion for his as well. I found it really surprising that he expected his wife to notice that he was low. I know for me it has never been really easy for people to notice when I was low. I am not sure if other people's lows are really hard to notice too, but I have had a conversation when my blood sugar was 17 and no one noticed anything was off. I have always take the approach that I need to be responsible for it as much as possible and be proactive as possible. I know each person has their own approach to dealing with lows. I am very independent and have always been that way so I'm sure that's why I prefer to handle my lows on my own if at all possible. There has been times I did need help and was able to get the help needed as well.

            Having diabetes and relationships can be difficult because its really hard to negotiate situations like that woman experienced. I am so very thankful that I have Duchess to help me maneuver through my lows and awkward situations lows can create. I know there will always be the really embarrassing moment I had back when my hypoglycemia unawareness had completely taken over my life that I don't think I will ever forget. I know most of my relationships in the past I did not ask them to help me with my lows even to get juice or whatever at the time I was using to treat the lows. I think I may be almost too independent for my own good from time to time. I am lucky that Duchess does not mind helping.

             I

No comments:

Post a Comment