Friday, June 29, 2012

Being Your Own Medical Advocate

                   After a couple months of fighting with my Dr. over which Insulin pump I should be using I finally won. The Dr. finally signed off on it this week. I will be the proud new owner of Animas One Touch Ping here shortly. This experience is a great reminder that we need to be our own advocates when it comes to our needs as diabetics. I know the Dr. wanted me to go with Medtronic and tried to tell me that they really prefered it because they felt it was better than Animas but frankly I am the one paying for the device so it is my choice. I know when I got hypoglycemia unawareness I was told they though it was silly for me to get a diabetic alert dog because it was unnecessary. I disagree a hundred percent because under that Dr.'s care I was wondering for hours not remembering anything and I was not supposed to be not concerned by that. I did everything the Dr. told me to do but nothing was working and so I had to make the decision for myself. I did talk my decision over with my family and they agreed I needed to get a service dog.

                   The most interesting things I have learned since I got Duchess is that most Dr.'s are not open minded about diabetic alert dogs. Most of them think they don't work or are not worth the money but I beg to differ completely. I have tried all the medical devices with not luck so that left me with one option a diabetic alert dog. I know my current Endocrinologist is not a fan but I don't care. The Dr.'s is not there when a low has almost taken my life but Duchess has been and she continues to keep me safe. In some parts of my life I am not very insistent with things but when it comes to my health I am a very challenging patient. The reason why I am challenging is that I am educated on the latest advancements, i am familiar with medical terminology, i want the latest tests and I will fight for what ever I need. The saddest part is that the Dr.'s who are supposed to be looking out for you as the patient can be just more concerned about their own pocket books. I was blessed my mother taught me so much about the medical field and how to fight for my rights as a patient. I have had so many times that I have used what my mother taught me. I know to get my diagnosis of Celiac's disease it took a while to get a Dr. willing to run the correct tests and finally tell me what I really already knew. I know it's not easy but in the end I feel like I have control of what happens in my own medical care by fighting for what I know is right.

No comments:

Post a Comment