Tuesday, June 19, 2012

I Made My Decision on New Pump

            I am a very educated consumer especially when looking at insulin pumps. I spend a large amount of researching insulin pumps before I make my decision. I am coming up on my 4 years with my Medtronic 722 insulin pump. I have like my pump pretty well but I am not really all that impressed with the Revel insulin pump Medtronic currently has out. I am liking the Animas ping currently because of two reason I really like the screen and its waterproof. My guy friend has dropped his quite often and it is still function just fine. He is not gentle on his gear like I am so I know that it will fair just fine over the 4 years. I have heard nothing but wonderful things about their customer service and I have not been as satisfied with Medtronic over the past year or so with their customer service. I feel like Medtronic is not offering the same quality of pumps some of the other companies are in my opinion. I know they have a wonderful reputation but I am ready for a change. I know the CGM I tried and was not impressed at all. I know there is talk of Dexcom working with Animas on an integrated CGM which is what I am looking for. They also offer a low upgrade fee to the newer pump when It comes out which I want. 

                             
            I went to an Endocrinologist appointment about two months ago and was inquiring about getting a new pump. I have been only seeing this Endocrinologist since March of this year. I am not a big fan of her actually. I really like her PA and her nurse who happens to be a type 1 as well. The educators are really fantastic but what I found out during the visit only made me mad. I told them I was wanting an Animas Ping but the Dr. said too me there is no reason to need a waterproof pump. I like to go swimming and other activities like floating down the river but don't like being disconnected for hours from the pump either. I really don't do well with Lantus or Levemir. I have horrific low most of the time. I am looking for a pump that if I accidentally get pushed in a pool is not a big deal ,which almost happened to me once. The Dr. then says that she prefers Medtronic pumps and there is no reason to look at any other brand of pumps when she can get a pump expedited from Medtronic quite easily.
                                   
                     
            I was blessed growing up with a mom who was a nurse. She taught me a great deal about the medical field including all the kickbacks and etc that physicians get from companies to prescribe their drugs and equipment. I sadly think that is the case with this Endocrinologist. I am still insistent that I am going to get Animas Ping because honestly I am paying for it and a Dr. should not been pushing me to one brand just because they prefer it. I had the company fax the paper work weeks ago and still not paper work back. I have called numerous times the Animas representative has stopped by the office trying to get a signature but nothing. I am nothing but furious because I have a right as a patient who is paying for the pump to make the decision. Last time I checked a physician opinion can be important, but I am the person who should make that decision.I am honestly furious because a this is a so rediclious how they believe I will cave and just go with Medtronic but they are wrong. I guess we will see how this ends soon enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment