Sunday, May 20, 2012

Diabetic Hero's

Let’s end our week on a high note and blog about our “Diabetes Hero”.  It can be anyone you’d like to recognize or admire, someone you know personally or not, someone with diabetes or maybe a Type 3.  It might be a fabulous endo or CDE.  It could be a d-celebrity or role-model.  It could be another DOC member.  It’s up to you – who is your Diabetes Hero??

Blog post day 7.

        I have been following her blog post for 5 years now. I finally meet her in person In March at the JDRF conference in Austin. I love her sense of humor and her blogging style. She is an example all of can learn from. I  like that she talks about her struggles and frustrations. I like the fact that in some ways we have quite a bit in common especially being considered brittle as a diabetic ( sorry about the use of the work brittle they used to us it back in the day). I love how when a complication came she told you how she felt about and I learned so much. I have some issues of my own and because of her I don't feel like a completer failure and I really did the best I could with what I had. Kerri Morrone Sparling of "Six Until Me". 

         My other hero is my own mother who was diagnosed with diabetes when she was 36. She did so much more than any parent should and I appreciate all she did more than she will ever know. All the late nights at the ER, surgeries, illnesses and other diabetes issues she dealt with such ease. She was my best diabetic friend and miss her dearly. She was not perfect but she taught me so much. She taught me to be my own advocate for my diabetes and I will never forget that. She became a nurse so she could be more knowledgeable to make the best decisions for me. She was an incredible nurse and there were so many patients who appreciated her. I know my mother always worried about me but she also let me live my life my way. I appreciate all the sacrifices she made for my and the family. I was so blessed to have her. Thank you mom for being so much more that you had to be.

         The last but defiantly not the least is my guardian angel Duchess. I have spent almost two years with you. Duchess has saved my life several times and I know I am blessed beyond words to have her in my life. She is a goofy fun loving dog who loves her job and takes really good care of me. I have a hard time putting into words what it is like having a service dog who was so well matched with me. I know she drives me crazy and I know I drive her crazy but I wouldn't have it any other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment