Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Why Duchess Has Not Been Feeling Well

I know recently I have noticed some issues with Duchess alerting from time to time since our move. I thought she just needed some time so I made a call to the trainer yesterday. She told me several things to check out if she has allergies she might be stuffed up and can't smell things like she normally would or she could be in pain from an injury or illness. She is very good alerter so I was worried sick trying to figure it out. I know she recommended I start with some Zyrtec so I did last night. I know my vet said she could have allergy medicine when needed. So I thought I would give it a try. Sure enough she is a different dog today she is back to her energetic self and she could smell my blood sugar without being on top of me most of the time. She seems to be back to her normal self I am getting steady alerts and quite early. So to say I am relived is an understatement. I know there is so many things that can affect if your dog will continually alert and everything the trainer said could be true.

I know I do my best to take Duchess to the vet and I do have pet insurance to be safe. I need a plan to help make things more affordable if something did happen and Duchess insurance has really helped. So far nothing has happened but if something does it feels good to have a good plan in place. I know you never know if your dog will need surgery for an injury or physical therapy for an injury. I know I do plan on seeing how I can make things as easy for both Duchess and I because proper health care for a service dog is essential. So I am glad that I have my plan but also thankful that it turned out to be something so simple. I never thought about when you move that the allergens they may be exposed to could be different as well. So I know I am trying to make sure I give her allergy medicine nightly to avoid her being drowsy when she is working. I know even with having Duchess 5 years I am still constantly learning and still making mistakes. I know I feel so much better to know that Duchess is back to her old self again.

4 comments:

  1. Yeah, haven't been keeping up, but glad you figured it out. Macy (the non-alert beagle) has the worst trouble with weeds and trees). Thankfully Dulce hasn't seen allergy problems.

    There is a compounding pharmacy that makes an allergy medication for dogs. Macy Is a lot smaller than Duchess so Zyrtec may be too much for her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for mentioning the compound Pharmacy I will look into it. Right now I am using children's Zyrtec liquid form which seems to work so far but might be easier with a pill form.

      Delete
  2. many of my friends have had good luck with plain Claritin (NOT the "D" formula) which they say is better because it is non-drowsy and lasts 12 hours...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will give it a try. I am open to what ever works well for Duchess. I am not sure why I could not figure it out right away what the issue was but I am glad I did.

      Delete