Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Exercising and Hypoglycemia Unawareness

I have been feeling much better and have started to go back to the gym again which is great. I have been struggling to avoid lows during and after exercise. I have found that Cliff shot blocks have helped reduce the lows while exercising but several hours later I am dropping. I have tried planning a snack before I go time period but some times that works other times I go low slightly later because I had the snack. I am using temp basals and using shot blocks which tend to keep me level eat shortly before exercising. I know if I don't eat a meal before had I could have an ems involved incident otherwise.

I have tried doing temp basals by itself about an hour and a half before I exercise but that is just not enough. My blood sugar drops like a freight train and has since I was diagnosed with Hypoglycemia Unawareness. I have found I have the most trouble with exercise and lows. I am continuing to try new things to keep things more level but I also know that in the evenings after work is really busy so I am sure that does not help either. I am trying to find a way to make exercise safer. This week with increasing the amount of time for my work outs I have noticed I am sleeping right through most of my Dexcom alarms most nights. So now I am trying to find new ways so I can hear the Dexcom alarms sooner.

Last night for example I woke up but then went right back to sleep for around a half an hour then finally got up to treat my low. So I will have to come up with something more creative so I can hear it. Exercise seems to be the one thing where I have the most difficulty avoiding lows. Right now most nights there is a low here and there but not too bad but adding exercise increases that. So I feeling I am living in a juggling act where I am not winning at times. I am bound and determined to find what will work for me so I can continue to be safe and still exercise. I normally walk and I have that down to where I can exercise and only have a post work out low couple hours afterward. I know I worked out around 7pm and was low around 12pm. So I will try again tonight to try something knew you never know when you figure it out.

The difficult part for me is that with Hypoglycemia unawareness I seem to not hold patterns very long. I can do the same thing for a couple weeks with no issue then one day thing just don't work anymore and I have to find an alternative plan. So I know I can figure this out but it is not that much fun while doing so.

No comments:

Post a Comment