Monday, June 23, 2014

Insulin Issues

I have been noticing some issue recently quite a few bad pump sites and weird numbers. My insurance had some changes which took effect in March of this year. They now only cove one type of Insulin which is Humalog and they only cover One Touch test strips as well. They cut all the Type 2 drugs down to one brand as well. I have a feeling they made a contract with certain groups for a discount on the costs. My issues now is that I am going to go through pump supplies and higher blood sugars with Humalog. I know two years ago I was having issues with my pump supplies lasting more than a couple hours at a time. I know the solution turned out to be changing insulin to Novolog because of the length of time I was on Humalog it was not effective and also was causing issues with the pump sites as well. I also had to use Hydrocortison cream several days in advance and use of IV 3000 to protect my skin. I was having rashes from the pump sites as well.

So it looks like I am going to have to fight with my insurance company about covering Novolog but I doubt they will. I wish they would stop messing with coverage especially when they only leave you with one option like it will work for every Diabetic is really ridiculous. I know it will be a tough battle but I am not doing as well on the Humalog I was on that insulin I think over 10 years straight. I am not sure why one day it just decided to not work well anymore. I also have been having a great deal of occlusions once I changed over to Humalog as well. I do make sure I get all air bubbles out and such to prevent that from happening. So I was not expecting the same issue again because I have been on Novolog for a year now I was hoping that was enough of a break from it. I was wrong I was trying to be optimistic.

I am not sure what I am going to be able to do if they won't cover the insulin I need. I know paying for it out of pocket monthly would add up quickly with not insurance coverage. I am not sure if I can pull that off. I know that this weekend alone I went through three pump site changes. I did test to see if it was the pump site and not something else. I had not eaten anything and it kept rising. So I pulled the site and sure enough it worked. So now I am left trying to figure out what I can do. I know I preferred it when my insurance gave me options not a one size fits all preference.


No comments:

Post a Comment