Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Ugh Prescription Issues

I went to refill my prescriptions last week after my Endocrinologist appointment. I called the company when I only received 500 test strips for 90 days because now my insurance will only covers testing 6 times a day. I used ten test strips last night alone for a bad night of lows. They said my Dr. put I only test 6 times a day but I test more actually so I am not sure why they would put that. Then I was told my insurance now determined all diabetics only need 6 test strips a day. I don't know very many diabetics who could survive on that few of test strips and maintain good control. I know my Dr. wrote on the prescription that I needed 600 test strips a month. So I had to call my Endocrinologist office this morning asking them to call for a special exception so I might be approved for more than 6 test strips a day.

I am shocked that my insurance wants diabetics to be in control but yet is only willing to allow a number of test strips which does not equal the ability to test frequent enough to have good control. I know this has been very frustrating on how much they charged me for the prescription when it was only a months worth and they are unwilling even with the special approval of the test strips to send the remaining amount that I am missing from my normal test strip amount. So I am really unsure how I am going to come up with the extra test strips except fill a prescription for the  next two months which makes me really mad when I paid for a 90 days supply. My work wants us to use the mail order primarily but when I am having this much issue I would rather pay more at the pharmacy and call it good. The customer service is never good at the mail order and it can make it difficult.

I am hoping to get the test strip issue taken care of because they won't do refills at my office unless the pharmacy contacts them that we are out but that will only create more issues for me because my only prescription is through the mail order.  Hoping to get things back on track with the mail order pharmacy today.

On the testing front. The Big Blue Test is currently going on right now. I hope you all join me. The Big Blue Test is that you test then get active for at least 20-30 minutes and then test again. Then post results on app or on webpage your results. By participating you providing Insulin to other Diabetics who need supplies and education. I participate every year. Hoping you all join me you can do it as many times as you like.


http://www.bigbluetest.org


 

4 comments:

  1. I have heard that the insurance companies base the number of test strips by combining ALL those getting test strips (T2 + T1) then dividing and averaging.... Since 8 of 10 diabetics are T2, their testing affects T1s... AND T1s that are not "brittle" don't test often either..... Hope you get that exemption. IF single payer insurance happens, I worry how many test strips we'll be allowed and IF they will grant ANY exemptions??

    Everyone doing the big blue test is going thru test strips right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking that after they told me that they only cover six tests a day but with Hypoglycemia Unawareness that would come not where close to what I need. I am sure you are much the same too. Seems like every year they make it more difficult to get what I need. They also don't care about safety either.

      Delete
  2. Ugh, it makes me so angry when we have to fight for the test strips we need to stay safe and healthy. I've been there too, and my best advice is to just keep fighting it!! In the end, my insurance company gave in and I hope yours will too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have fought this fight before with my insurance but it seems they keep lowering the amount of test strips. Thankfully I normally win my battle once I start talking about seizures and lows that involve glucagon or EMS.

      Delete