Saturday, June 8, 2013

Exercise Always Equal Lows

                      I have successfully reduced my lows in general but sadly my biggest struggle is with exercise even if I snack before hand and reduce basals I still tend to go low afterwards. I know since my Hypoglycemia Unawareness exercise has really been an obstacle. I can walk long distances but anything vigorous I can end up with lows for hours afterwards. So that is my next project is too find what will work for me to be able to do various types of exercise and keep the lows to a minimum if at all possible. I know I have learned so much along the way but I am not sure exactly how I am going to fix this. I know the more out of the box solutions tend to work well for me so I am going to work on a solution for that. I know I love to run when I can but it just seems to really cause a lot of lows. I am running short distances a mile or two and still have lows so I guess I will have to come up with a great idea how to better manage it. So I am on my new mission to reduce lows during and after exercise. Hopefully I will come up with a good plan. Wish me luck because I am going to need it.

4 comments:

  1. Walking is a great exercise so don't get down on yourself if that is all that works.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I pretty much do as much as I can handle but lows are not something that I have had much luck avoiding but it is not as bad as it initially was which is good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Couple of things I've learned recently about exercise with diabetes:
    1) temp basal rates need to be started a good 60-90 minutes ahead of time
    2) super important to be aware of any active insulin or insulin on board.

    When I was training for my big bike ride last year, one thing I learned that stuck with me is rapid drops during exercise are usually from active insulin whereas slower drops mean you need even less basal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Scott. I have been trying a temp basal for 60 minutes before I will try 90 minutes ahead of time. I am hoping that will work and defiantly worth a try.

    ReplyDelete