Friday, October 5, 2012

Intrusive People

                  I was at the mall the other day when approached by a person who wanted to know about Duchess. They came up and did not even say hello but started out what does your dog do? I told the person politely that I preferred not to say. The guy continued to follow me as I went to another store. He asked why won't you tell me. I turned to him and said because It is my personal health and does not need to be shared with perfect strangers. I do not walk up to you and ask about all your health issues but why is it okay for you to do so with me? I know you are just curious but I am not always in the mood to share my personal information. I hope you understand my need for privacy with this matter. He then turned and just walked out of the store all angry and mad. I was not in the mood that day to deal with sharing personal details with someone who was showing me no respect. I know many service dog handlers will not discuss their disabilities at all which is their choice. I try to share to educate but if your are not polite I am much less inclined to do so. Their is a public perception that all service dog teams will spend the time to talk about their dogs and conditions but that is not always the case. The longer I  have had Duchess the more I feel the need for some privacy. I feel like I am back in elementary school being that diabetic girl again. I also find their has been quite a big of judgement from people when they do find out I am diabetic.

                   There is so much bad information about diabetes in general most of the time the public can have a very negative reaction to it. That is why I try to educate but times honestly I don't want too. I am a very private person in some ways and I like to feel like it can be nice to be just another person at the mall even though I have Duchess with me. I try my best to live a normal life even though it can be difficult when people are rude and intrusive. I am sure as I get used to this I will find the best ways for handling these situations.

                

2 comments:

  1. Hi Tarra,

    Thanks for sharing this aspect of living with a service animal. I wouldn't have thought that people would be so intrusive and prying. I appreciate seeing it from your perspective!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Scott. When I first got Duchess I was shocked as well but what I have figured out is that if you don't look disabled people tend to be very intrusive. I have a feeling they think I am faking in order to take my dog with me everywhere.

    ReplyDelete