Monday, September 29, 2014

Issue That Took Me By Surprise

I have felt so much better taking the Methotrexate for my Rheumatoid Arthritis but I am now experiencing some of the down sides of taking this medication. I know that being a Diabetic and taking Methotrexate both compromise my immune system further. After battling off my cold last week I am having my typical secondary infection systems event though I have done everything I can. I have not jumped back into exercise too soon or done anything to make the recovery slow. So I am realizing now how much the Methotrexate is affecting my ability to fight off infections and colds etc. I know this is very difficult since I work in office full of cubicles and people every where. I know I have two student interns that sit right next to me as well. One who is constantly sick and I think he shared his cold with me. With these concerns I am trying to find the best way to deal with this situation. I know I constantly wash my hands and clean my desk off to help prevent issues.

So I am looking to see if they can move the interns to another location in the office because of the fact that one tends to be sick frequently. I do not want to use up all my sick leave or be sick constantly. So I talked with the assistance director who offered to move the interns for my own safety and to reduce my chances of getting sick. I know in the long run I need to be around people who tend not to be as sick since I have done incredibly well on the Methotrexate. I know most of the RA drugs do affect the immune system so my choices are limited with how I can avoid missing time at work. I do have currently 180 hours of sick leave but I like to have around 200 hours or more normally available for my use as necessary. I am hoping this does not create a great deal of issues. I know with having sick interns by me frequently will not help me stay healthy and avoid cold etc like I normally do. I am going to request the change with hopes that will help me to stay healthy and avoid as much of the constant cold and illness's going around my office.

No comments:

Post a Comment