Thursday, May 1, 2014

Irritated By Transmitter Replacement

I got my notification from Dexcom about the fact that my transmitter would be nearing the 6 month time where I will be needing to change out the transmitter. I was then contacted by my medical supply company that I should replace the transmitter. I wanted to know more information about the cost and he said most companies were not charging the person money for the replacements. I said okay they call me back and sure enough my Insurance hits me with a $50.00 bill for a new transmitter even though Dexcom supposedly ran the replacement as part of the original cost. I guess they did not when I purchased mine. I am frankly extremely annoyed with the G4 at this point because of how fast the transmitter runs out. I am also am annoyed that I was not let know when I originally purchased the Dexcom G4 that the transmitter life was only 6 months.

I also know after using Predisone that it seems to have some effects on my Dexcom as well I am finding that the newer version for me has really been worth all the extra money I have spent at this point. I am not getting the same results I did with the Dexcom Seven Plus. I wish when you purchase the G4 that they automatically include the transmitter as part of the original cost and when it goes out you call and they ship a new one. That would really makes things so much easier for the patients who use the Dexcom regularly. I know with insulin pumps the part goes bad they ship you a new one and with the cost of the G4 I think they should cover it and not make the patient responsible for the cost. I know when I first started the Dexcom Seven Plus I was an instant fan of Dexcom but now I am questioning at times why I even bother when the results are not what most patients get and the costs in many ways keep going up.

I know I keep hoping I will get the results of some people I have meet who use the Dexcom where it is very close to the actual blood sugar. At times my is there but most of the time is quite a ways off. So it is not as useful as I once hoped it would be. I know I have also not been a fan of the Customer Service the past year when I ran int some issues either. I know I was accused of reusing sensors the funny part is that I was not reusing them but they said I was causing the issue but later after the Dexcom representative in person discovered that my stomach was not a good site for the sensors so we had to move to my arms and legs. So it turned out it was not me causing the issue but just one of the people who has to use alternative sights. I know Dexcom is better than the Medtronic from previous experiences. So I will stay with Dexcom but I am not thrilled right now.

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like you're experiencing what many in the D-Community are, and the whole Dex G4 transmitter replacement issue is something I just wrote about over at D'Mine - http://www.diabetesmine.com/2014/04/trouble-with-dexcom-g4-transmitters.html. Out of curiosity, did your first transmitter stop working at all? You can still keep using it until you get the low battery warning, just make sure you don't take the new replacement transmitter out of the box because that starts its little internal clock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was kind of funny the day you wrote about it is the day I got notice from Dexcom about the fact that the transmitter only lasts 6 months and I had hit the 6 month mark. I had read your blog and then I noticed the email. I have not replaced it yet but I will get it today in the mail. I plan on having it with me when I get the low battery notice. To avoid any further issues.

      Delete
  2. I never received any notice from Dexcom or Edgepark about my six-month battery warranty or time period running out... and it's been 8-9 months now. Huh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure why you didn't get an email from Dexcom. My medical supply company in fact called on the phone and ordered it that day. They said they preferred to replace it early before it goes because insurance approvals can delay the process. I agreed ordering before was the best option. I am thankful my medical supply company is very efficient. My G4 sensors I order over the phone and have them the next day. I am glad I went with the supply company I use now instead of Edgepark

      Delete
    2. What supply company do you use? I've just started using my G4 about two months now and have placed my first supply re-order yesterday. While researching the G4 I had read a lot of negative reviews about Edgepark though didn't know of any other suppliers. I'm hoping for the best with Edgepark but want to be prepared to change to another supplier.

      Delete
    3. I currently use Pumps IT Inc in Houston Texas. They have a very quick turn around time. I usually order in the afternoon and have it at my door the next day. They also sell pump supplies, skin prep, test strips etc. They have an in house pharmacy as well.

      Delete