Thursday, May 15, 2014

How I Survive The Bad Days

Diabetic Blog Week Topic:

Click for the Mantras and More - Thursday 5/15 Link List.
Yesterday we opened up about how diabetes can bring us down. Today let’s share what gets us through a hard day.  Or more specifically, a hard diabetes day.  Is there something positive you tell yourself?  Are there mantras that you fall back on to get you through?  Is there something specific you do when your mood needs a boost?  Maybe we've done that and we can help others do it too? (Thanks to Meri of Our Diabetic Life for suggesting this topic.)






Diabetes Blog Week

I normally on bad days like to remind myself that I am human and that I can try something different next time that might make the bad day easier. Normally I try to use my experiences from a previous bad day to help improve the day by using what made my blood sugars come down quicker if I was high. If I have a bad low for hours I normally will eat a set amount of carbs to bring it back up but not  so it shoots up high.

I know on bad days I like to use all my tools to the full extent using temp basals, Dexcom, and Duchess to make it easier if possible. I also know if I have been low for a while at times just doing nothing for around 30 minutes can really help to bring it up or using more protein can also help bring up and get it to stay level for a while.

I know if I am high I will normally try to take a walk to bring it down and also clear my head because it can be so easy to get mad that you are high. It also can be so easy to blame yourself when you did everything right but are not getting the normal results. I also try to remember some days you can only do so much so you have to grin and bear it. Just as long as I can keep things in a decent range most of the time then I feel I am doing great because Diabetes is like Russian roulette you never know what you are going to get at times.



 Diabetes Blog Week

No comments:

Post a Comment