Friday, May 16, 2014

Diabetes Life Hacks

Diabetes Blog Week Topic:

Click for the Diabetes Life Hacks - Friday 5/16 Link List.
Share the (non-medical) tips and tricks that help you in the day-to-day management of diabetes.  Tell us everything from clothing modifications, serving size/carb counting tricks to the tried and true Dexcom-in-a-glass trick or the “secret” to turning on a Medtronic pump’s backlight when not on the home-screen (scroll to the bottom of this post). Please remember to give non-medical advice only! (Thank you Rachel of Probably Rachel and Kelley of Below Seven for this topic suggestion.)


Diabetes Blog Week
I use a great deal of tricks to help keep things in place event with skin issues. I use the Optiflex tape which works great to keep my Dexcom in place and has not skin reaction and use Bard adhesive to help it stay put as well. I do have to cut a square piece so the sensor is not taped down. I have found it works great for a week with not issues of peeling or having to tape several times. Also when I can't hear my Dexcom until it is 55 or under so now I put it in a cup but have added a bunch of coins so now I hear it earlier than the 55 or below alarm. I know because of my high stress job that at times I have trouble waking up for the Dexcom alarms just because I am so exhausted. So adding the coins has helped for now but I do plan of changing it up so that I don't zone out the sounds.

I have also found that using Hydro cortisone cream in an area I plan on using in a for an upcoming site change has really helped me to avoid the raised rashes and other itchy skin because of my glue and adhesive allergies. I also make sure I clean my skin with alcohol before I put a new sensor or site in but I always wait til it dries before using. This really helps me to make sure I don't get infections or other issues. If you have skin issues I always recommend trying several products. I called my medical supply company who sent me several samples of different adhesives and other tapes I can use. So always worth asking because trying products before  you buy is always nice.

I have also been eating Kind brand Dark Chocolate Chunk granola bars to help tie me over when my blood sugar does not want to stay in place. I also love the fact that when I read the label I know what every ingredient actually is. It is a nice feeling to know you are not eating some chemical ridden items.  It is gluten free and tastes great and the bonus it has chocolate of course. So I love these new bars. The Kind also has several different gluten free protein bars which I love as well.

Diabetes Blog Week

5 comments:

  1. Great hacks - skin irritations can really be a problem so thanks for offering some great solutions. (And Kind bars, yum!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate skin issues and have tried quite a few items but I only would recommend a couple that I have tried. Hope your having a great week Karen and Duchess says hi.

      Delete
  2. Mmmm, you had me at "dark chocolate"! Now, I've got to go out and find some of those bars....

    ReplyDelete
  3. My kids love those bars too. No weird ingredients!

    ReplyDelete