Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Things I have learned when traveling with a service dog.

              When I travel with Duchess there is several things I always try to do to make things easier. I cut her food off before we fly to reduce the need to go to the bathroom during the duration. They do have relief areas but most of the them you have to go back through security again which is less than ideal. Each airports reliefs areas vary quite a bit. I try to take some things on the plane to keep her busy because some flights can be long. I take a chew bone for her. She is very well behaved but the trip seems easier for her when she has something to do on the flight.I always bring a small blanket to or pet bed to put on the plane floor to make her more comfortable. I also let her go potty right before I go into the airport to reduce the chance of her needing to go.

               There is so many things I have to think about when I take Duchess on trips. Things such as boarding can become dangerous for her. I have had her feet stepped on once and she limped for several days and I was unable to let her work. I now always request early boarding when possible so I can get seated and have Duchess in her area before other people board when ever possible. I have had people get upset when I am trying to get my carry one in the overhead bin and keep Duchess out of the way can be difficult and most people are not very patient. When I board early I avoid most of this by having a chance to get more time before the majority of the customers board the plane. I actually spend a lot of time thinking of Duchess's safety before we go places. I have experienced so many times where I thought things would be okay and ended up not being the best thing for Duchess.

No comments:

Post a Comment