Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Discussion about Seizures

              I am back at work today. I had an interesting discussion with a friend of the family's who heard I had a seizure from a low during my vacation. I have had these on and off since I was really young. I am not sure if I will be able to get away from them completely. I have really dramatic drops in my blood sugar and even though I constantly working on getting my basal rates to the best spot I can. I have had gaps of seven or eight years with no seizures which is quite nice but the longer I have it the more I worry about having seizures. There has been interesting changes in my seizures as well. I used to sleep anywhere from 8-12 hours after a seizure but not I am up and aware usually before EMS even arrives. Most of the time once EMS is there I am able to answer questions and so forth but do need some glucose. I am happy that the seizure have not slowed me down but I wish there was a way to reduce how often I have them. That is of course my goals. In 08 I had several but the last seizure I had was in 2011 and now one in 2012.

             Duchess does a wonderful job during these seizures and she always gets me help. She is quite amazing during these times. She had really impressed the EMS during my vacation. They had never heard of a diabetic alert dog but saw first hand the benefit for me to have Duchess around. I feel extremely fortunate to have her in my life and for the constant dedication to her job. She loves he work but I know these seizures are very scary for her as well. I know my family friend I was talking with told me that I should try and determine the cause to prevent them from happening again. I always try to pinpoint what went wrong but that can be so difficult. There are so many factors that can contribute to having a seizure. I think not sleeping as much and increased activity on the fourth did contribute but I'm not sure what else played a part. I wish there was a simple answer to that question. Most people who do not have diabetes do not realize the impact of all these factors can have on just the blood sugars alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment