Monday, March 10, 2014

It Snuck Up On Me

I have been extremely tired recently and I knew something was off but not sure what. I know my insulin basal rates have increased dramatically in general. Things seemed to be flopping around pretty dramatically but I could not figure out why. Over the past couple of months I have noticed that when at the grocery store I was having issues with opening the bags for fruits and vegetables. I noticed this activity seemed to take me quite a bit of time to just get the bad open. I can pick up things pretty well but just when at the grocery store was I noticing this issue. I have had Rheumatoid Arthritis since I was 19. I for the most part do not have a great deal of issues with my RA but on occasions I will get a flare up of my condition and that's where I run into issues. I know this morning I woke up all the joints in my hands and collar bone were painful to move. The more I move around eventually it is not as bad but during a flare up that is not always the case. The number one drug they give me during a flare up is predisone which destroys my blood sugars. I fight highs frequently when on predisone and tend to gain weight. I am hoping that this is not a true flare up but it feel like the start of one. All I know is that today has been a painful start to the week.

I know using the computer on days like these makes for a really long day and I will muddle through. I know in part the reason this is happening. I have not been on RA medication for several years because of my Retinopathy. Some of the drugs I have been prescribed can cause eye issues and with my proliferative diabetic retinopathy I don't want to risk it. I know there is quite a few drugs on the market but my last Dr. did not seem to want to put me on anything. I am worried with the changes in my ability to open certain things is not a really good sign. I have had RA for 15 years and it does do damage. I am hoping they have a drug to help but that does not cause issues with my eyes. At this point I am choosing to take care of my eyes first and my joints second if I have to make that choice. Hopefully I can get an appointment for my Dr.soon to review what options I do have. I am just not willing to risk more issues with my eyes after all the hard work to keep my eyes in good condition. I want to keep my current 20/20 vision as long as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment