Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Interesting Saturday

             I had the most wonderful day last Saturday. I went a little are in called Barton Springs and right next too it is a little area many people take their dogs to play. I was their just relaxing letting Duchess play in the water. One of her favorite activities is playing in the water. She loves to play for hours chasing balls. The funny thins is when she has her vest off and can play with her ball you would have no clue that is a working dog. She does not really understand one thing like that another dogs tennis ball is not hers. She is lucky that other dogs don't mind sharing. I always bring extra balls when I take her so she in case she steals another dogs ball. I was throwing her tennis ball. She runs up and then steals this younger guys labs ball as usual.

             I end up talking with the owner of the black lab she ended up chasing back and forth at the park. The conversation would of been a conversation most people would have of their labs chasing the ball back and forth at the water. His dog was named lucky. He was quite a beautiful lab and loved playing with my overly playful Duchess. Duchess of course was just happy to have a dog to race to get the ball with in the water. The owner and I chatted away as our dogs were playing in the water as I was wading in water throwing the ball to the dogs. He then looks downs and notices my pump site. I was wearing on the hip area and had disconnected from it because it is not waterproof as I would like. It  is of course noticeable but he was very polite in asking and did not change our conversation in anyway. I did tell him I was a type 1 diabetic and was using an insulin pump and had disconnected while I was in the water.

         I had such a great time just chatting with him. He did not seem to mind the insulin pump or that I was diabetic. We played with the dogs and chatted the afternoon away while the dogs chased each other in the water. He he did ask me some very general diabetic questions. It was nice really in general to talk about the dogs and just have fun for the most part not focusing on the diabetic end of things. I did speak about my diabetes here and their because it is a big part of my life. The conversation eventually led to me talking about how Duchess was actually my service dog when she came running back to me and pawed my leg eventually. Even in her downtime she will alert if she notices. I checked my had to go quickly check my blood sugar which lead to me explaining she was my alert dog and my blood sugar had dropped and she had caught it.

          I am not sure he was not expecting that part because I was like most people at the water having fun with their dogs. I did tell him about Duchess and her job and how I needed her to detect my blood sugar changes for me. He was fascinated with how she could sense the changes for me and how she could help me. I really was not sure to expect from people I meet. I was surprised when he asked me if he could have my number. I am not sure where it will go but I have had fun so far. Always nice to have new friends and especially when Duchess can have a new friend too.

No comments:

Post a Comment